KOLKATA: After being pushed back several times, NEET was finally held in a physical mode on Sunday under strict Covid-safety norms. Only candidates were allowed access to the 48 examination centres in Kolkata. The test was held simultaneously across the country, with strict surveillance of observers sent by the National Testing Agency.
Stringent restrictions were in place for students, guardians and hosting authorities. Barricades had been erected 100m to 300m from the main entrance of exam centres and circles were drawn to ensure physical distance. Guardians were not allowed to cross the barricades.
No gathering was allowed in front of the centres. Students were allowed to enter from 10.30am, though the exam started from 2pm and continued till 5pm. Centre authorities were instructed not to interact with media persons.
A city-based school principal said, “We were instru-cted not to reveal anything regarding the examination. Everything was monitored by NTA’s observers and they even arranged the security and sanitization.”
The test was a big relief for students. Avik Sen from Halishahar went to Salt Lake KV 1 to take the exam. “I am a student of Halisahar Ramprasad Vidyapeeth and have scored 74% in my Plus-II board exams. I prepared well for this exam and expect a good rank,” he said.
Sangeeta Biswas from Barasat said, “The test had been delayed due to Covid, but I am happy that we are finally taking it. The delay gave us more time to prepare.”
Due to the second Covid wave, several tests were pushed back by NTA. More than 1,000 students had sent a written petition to the NTA asking that the exam be pushed back to October. But the NTA had turned it down.