Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
ROBERT DILLON

Knights play waiting game amid NRLW uncertainty

FRUSTRATION: Newcastle's NRLW coach Blake Green is still waiting to learn when he can hold his first training session. Picture: Getty Images

KNIGHTS chief executive Phil Gardner has no regrets about entering a team in this season's NRLW competition, despite the multiple logistical dilemmas it has created.

The NRL announced in June that Newcastle, Parramatta and Gold Coast would join Sydney Roosters, Brisbane and St George Illawarra in an expanded women's league, which was initially scheduled to kick off next week.

The COVID-19 lockdowns in NSW and Queensland have, however, delayed the season launch indefinitely, and it is now a race against time for any NRLW matches to be played this year.

It is understood the governing body is hoping to start the NRLW season after the men's grand final, in early October, but that hinges on a relaxation in government restrictions so that players are able to train in a team environment.

Unless there is a change in policies and protocols before September 1 - which would leave players and coaches with a month to prepare for the season - then this year's competition would appear highly doubtful.

The Knights, asked at late notice to assemble a squad, have recruited a host of players from New Zealand and Brisbane, who arrived in Newcastle last month.

But they still have not been able to train as a team under new coach Blake Green.

Gardner admitted the ongoing uncertainty had presented Knights officials with a "challenge" but added: "We're all hoping they get to play this year.

"It would be great if they can kick it off in October, when there will be virtually no other sporting competitions being played, so all eyeballs will be on it."

In an ideal world, the Knights would have joined the NRLW in 2022, but Gardner said all the franchises may have been snapped up by then.

"There was an opportunity this year," he said.

"Obviously it was going to challenge us and put pressure on everyone here, although the NRL have provided additional support.

"We just felt the chance to field a team was too good to pass up. They were offering the licences at that time, and there was no guarantee we would have got a licence next year.

"We could have missed out completely, and who knows when they would next look to add more teams?

"Six teams might be it. They might not look to expand it to eight teams for another five years.

"So all things considered, we're very comfortable to have secured a licence, and we'll deal with the challenges."

Gardner said that by next season, Newcastle hoped to have two "pathways" teams - Tarsha Gale Cup (under-18s) and NSW Cup (reserve grade) - to help develop and prepare home-grown talent for the NRLW.

They will eventually be based alongside their male counterparts at the club's new Centre of Excellence at Broadmeadow, which is under construction.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.