
MITCH Barnett might play every game like it's a demolition derby, but that doesn't mean he has no sense of self-preservation.
In last week's 44-4 triumph against Wests Tigers, for instance, the rugged Newcastle back-rower snapped a tooth and by his own admission was "filthy" about the mishap, which required some 6.30am dentistry the following day.
"Gehamat Shibasaki missed a tackle and then he came flying back in to make up for it, and he just hit me on the bottom of the mouthguard," Barnett recalled. "I haven't let him live it down yet.
"He''ll be hearing about that for a while yet."
A snapped tooth, however, pales in comparison to the spinal surgery Barnett required in late March.
He spent four days in intensive care, unable to move, after having a metal plate screwed into two discs in his neck. Not surprisingly, he found himself pondering some dark thoughts.
"I didn't have my head around it for a long time, to be honest," he said.
"I went through a rough period there after I got it done. I went a bit weird. Everyone telling me the worst-case scenario freaked me out a bit.
"I didn't really know what to think when they were talking about stuff like that."
His specialist reassured him the surgery, known as an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion procedure, went "really well" and as soon as he received a clearance, he was back in training.
"I started training as soon as I could, and originally I thought I'd be back playing a lot earlier than I eventually was," the 26-year-old said.
"But it was all about the bone growth. I just had to wait for the all-clear.
"When I was training, I had a couple of knocks that dented the confidence a bit, but I got through that. That's why I think I've been able to play the way I have."
Barnett resumed playing in the round-10 win against South Sydney - almost four months after his surgery - and the two-time Danny Buderus Medallist (for player of the year) showed no hesitation in putting his body on the line in both attack and defence.
"That's why I'm picked, I believe," he said.
I'll never change the way I play.
MITCH BARNETT
"My aggression is probably why the boys love to play with me. If I change that, I probably wouldn't be the player I am.
"So I'll never change the way I play.
"I give it 100 per cent every week, and I'll do that for the rest of my career."
Barnett's refusal to take a backward step sets the scene for an enthralling head-on clash with Manly's big-name forwards at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday.
Even in the absence of injured Addin Fonua-Blake, the Sea Eagles will still field a formidable pack containing Marty Taupau, Jake Trbjoevic, Joel Thompson, Curtis Sironen and former Newcastle hooker Danny Levi.
And after back-to-back losses to Penrith and the Warriors, ninth-placed Manly will be in desperate mood.
Newcastle, who are sixth on the points table, can potentially deal a mortal blow to their traditional rivals, who could find themselves four points adrift of the top eight if results go against them this weekend.
After beating the Tigers, Barnett said the Knights were now in a position to "set up our season".
The return from a knee injury of NSW Origin prop Daniel Saifiti, who replaces twin brother Jacob in the starting line-up, should only help Newcastle's cause.
IN THE NEWS:
-
NRL: Have we seen the last of Knights centre Bradman Best this year after surgery?
-
PODCAST: Darren Albert and that one incredible try from 1997
-
A-League: Jets finish season on a high after 3-0 win over Wellington
-
Racing: Tommy Berry on top as potential stars break through at Newcastle
- Motorsport: Bolwarra boy chases Formula 1 dream on other side of the world