Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
ROBERT DILLON

Knights coach Adam O'Brien backs Daniel Saifiti for Test call-up

KNIGHTS coach Adam O'Brien says if an Australian team was named today, Daniel Saifiti should be the first front-rower selected.

Saifiti, the towering Newcastle co-captain, produced another dominant display for the Blues in Sunday night's series-clinching 26-0 win against Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.

The 25-year-old gained the most attacking metres (128) of any forward on either team, and also made 35 tackles in a powerhouse 53-minute display.

It followed his 142-metre, 21-tackle contribution in NSW's 50-6 demolition in the series opener.

UNSTOPPABLE: Knights co-captain Daniel Saifiti

While NSW's electrifying outside backs have shared the accolades, that would not have been possible without the platform laid up front by prime movers Saifiti, Junior Paulo and Payne Haas.

Saifiti, a left-field bolter when he debuted for NSW in 2019, has now played in seven consecutive Origins and helped the Blues win two series.

If he maintains his form and stays injury-free, he would appear at short odds to become the Knights' 20th Australian international at the end-of-season World Cup.

"I reckon Daniel has been the best forward on the field in both games," O'Brien told the Newcastle Herald.

"He's got to be in the Australian team. The form that he's shown for us, the form that he's shown for NSW, it deserves to be rewarded. Origin is the toughest footy you can play, and he just seems to be growing each game."

Saifiti was also outstanding in last year's Origin series, won 2-1 by Queensland, but was not named in the Kangaroos Merit team chosen by Test coach Mal Meninga at season's end.

But given Australia had a squad of 24 players at the last World Cup, in 2017, it would be hard to imagine Saifiti will not make the cut for the tournament in England in October and November.

O'Brien was confident Saifiti would bring his Origin form back for the Knights in Saturday's crucial clash with North Queensland, just as he did against South Sydney and the Warriors after Origin I, punching out 368 metres and 60 tackles across the two games.

"He's been great for us when he's come back from Origin," O'Brien said.

"He's been really professional in the way he looks after himself and he hasn't tiptoed through games.

"He's just taken them head-on, like he did returning the kick-offs last night."

Saifiti told the Herald he would be "sweet" to back up on Saturday.

"The body feels good, just the normal post-match soreness," he said. "I'll definitely be ready for Saturday. Big one for us this week."

Saturday's game shapes as a pivotal juncture given that both teams have six wins to their name and are on the fringe of the top eight.

O'Brien said he would name Kalyn Ponga in his squad but the dynamic fullback was no sure thing to return from a groin injury.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.