Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Blake Foden

Knife-wielding robber seemingly motivated by minor car damage pleads guilty

Mohammad Rezwani leaves the ACT Supreme Court on Friday. Picture: Blake Foden

A man who was accused of making knifepoint death threats and stealing a car in Canberra's north after being upset by minor damage to his own vehicle has pleaded guilty to two offences.

Mohammad Rezwani entered the pleas to charges of aggravated robbery and theft of a motor vehicle when he was arraigned in the ACT Supreme Court last Friday morning.

The 26-year-old had been set to contest six charges at a trial listed to commence on November 30, but he and his barrister Alyn Doig struck an agreement with prosecutors that enabled him to admit to just two of them.

Prosecutor Patrick Dixon told Justice Michael Elkaim that while Rezwani was effectively confessing to "all the conduct" alleged in the six-count indictment, the Crown would drop the remaining four charges in light of this "resolution".

The parties are yet to agree on a statement of facts to be taken into account by the sentencing judge.

But police documents previously tendered to the ACT Magistrates Court say that Rezwani knocked on the door of another home at his Taylor unit complex late on March 3 and accused the occupant of hitting his vehicle in the underground car park.

According to officers, Rezwani said he would kill this man, who denied being responsible for the damage and said it may have been caused by his brother.

Rezwani was alleged to have pulled a flick knife from his pocket and grabbed the man by the shirt in response, threatening again to kill the man if he did not come to the car park with him.

The 26-year-old was said to have then walked the man into the unit and stolen the keys to a car belonging to the man's brother, before the pair headed downstairs and Rezwani pointed out damage to a tail light on a car he claimed was his.

Police said the men then went back to the unit, where Rezwani was accused of holding the knife to the victim's face and manipulating it in "a circular movement" on his cheek.

The victim alerted police once Rezwani had left, and officers attended the unit complex and arrested the offender in the early hours of March 4.

Rezwani spent several months in custody on remand before being granted bail, with conditions including that he regularly report to police.

Following the entry of the guilty pleas, Justice Elkaim vacated the scheduled trial and ordered that the case go before a registrar this Thursday in order for a sentencing date to be obtained.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.