Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics

Kazakhstan halts introduction of internet surveillance system

FILE PHOTO: Kazakhstan's President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev delivers a speech during his inauguration ceremony in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan June 12, 2019. REUTERS/Mukhtar Kholdorbekov/File Photo

ALMATY (Reuters) - Kazakhstan has halted the implementation of an internet surveillance system criticized by lawyers as illegal, with the government describing its initial rollout as a test.

Mobile phone operators in the oil-rich Central Asian nation's capital, Nur-Sultan, had asked customers to install an encryption certificate on their devices or risk losing internet access.

State security officials said its goal was to protect Kazakh users from "hacker attacks, online fraud and other kinds of cyber threats".

FILE PHOTO: A man holds his smartphone as he takes a dip during Epiphany celebration at the Bolshaya Almatinka river bank in Almaty, Kazakhstan, January 19, 2016. REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov/File Photo

The certificate allowed users' traffic to be intercepted by the government, circumventing encryption used by email and messaging applications.

Several Kazakh lawyers said this week they had sued the country's three mobile operators, arguing that restricting internet access to those who refused to install the certificate would be illegal.

But late on Tuesday, Kazakhstan's State Security Committee said in a statement that the certificate rollout was simply a test which has now been completed. Users can remove the certificate and use internet as usual, it said.

Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said in a tweet he had personally ordered the test which showed that protective measures "would not inconvenience Kazakh internet users".

"There are no grounds for concerns," he said.

Even before the roll out of the certificate, the former Soviet republic routinely blocked access - usually for periods of a few hours - to some popular websites and applications including Facebook, YouTube, and messaging services WhatsApp and Telegram.

The blocks have usually coincided with live broadcasts by government critics and public protests, the most recent wave of which took place during and after the June 9 election which made Tokayev, previously an interim leader, the full-time president.

(Reporting by Olzhas Auyezov; Editing by Alison Williams)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.