Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Matt Maltby

Juan Mata's Dad provides update on his Man Utd future

Juan Mata is considering a new contract offer from Manchester United but also has other options on the table, his father has claimed.

The Spaniard is out of contract this summer and although talks are ongoing, he has so far failed to sign an extension.

United are eager to keep Mata but he wants a minimum two-year deal and that is so far proving to be the stumbling block.

Barcelona have been credited with a interest in the 30-year-old, with United taking on the La Liga leaders in the Champions League on Wednesday.

Manchester United's Juan Mata could leave the club this summer (REUTERS)

Gary Neville identifies four Man Utd players who won't be missed if they leave

And ahead of that crucial showdown, his dad has revealed that Mata certainly isn’t short of options this summer.

Speaking to Cadena SER , he said: " Manchester United have offered to renew us, we are very happy.

"But there are proposals from Champions League teams.

"Spain, maybe, but today is not the day to talk, it is not yet decided."

Mata shakes hands with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (REUTERS)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer warns Man Utd players over Barcelona dirty tricks

Mata has remained tight-lipped on his future, and recently insisted he is not focusing on speculation over his whereabouts next season.

Speaking about his future, Mata told the Manchester Evening News : "I don't think right now is a good moment to speak about it.

“I prefer to put the team before myself and what we are going to face now is important enough to be focused only on that.

Mata's current contract expires at the end of this season (Getty Images)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reveals how Paul Pogba can upstage Lionel Messi in Champions League

"There have been some rumours about myself and other teammates over the last week, so I'm not the one who is going to put more questions or raise more comments with what I say.

"So I prefer to put the team before me and focus on the important task that we have ahead, which is Barcelona. And that's it. I'm sure the fans prefer that because we all want to beat Barcelona, we want to have our heads focused on Barcelona.

"And, again, I don't want to raise any more noise that, to be fair, in the last weeks there has been quite a lot."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.