Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Business

Journalists freed in Gaza

Two Fox News journalists were released today almost two weeks after being seized by militants, write Steve Busfield and agencies.

Cameraman Olaf Wiig, 36, and correspondent Steve Centanni, 60, were dropped off at Gaza City's Beach Hotel by Palestinian security officials.

Centanni later told Fox News in a phone call from Gaza City that during his capture, he was held at times face down in a dark garage, tied up in painful positions, and that he and Wiig were forced at gunpoint to make statements, including that they had converted to Islam.

The journalists had been seized in Gaza City on August 14 by a previously unknown group calling itself the Holy Jihad Brigades. However, senior Palestinian security officials said the name was a front for local militants, and that Palestinian authorities had known the identity of the kidnappers from the start.

British friends and relatives of the television cameraman today spoke of their relief at their safe release.

In Horsted Keynes, West Sussex, where Mr Wiig has lived for six years with his wife, former BBC presenter Anita McNaught, there was relief.

Ms McNaught's aunt, Alison Mountain, who lives next door to the couple, said: "That's excellent news. It was getting a bit depressing when the deadline had passed and there was no news, but this is wonderful. You have your feelings about what has happened, but you just hope everything will turn out fine. It has obviously been worse for Anita than it has been for me, and I'm sure she is just relieved."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.