Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Sport
Ryan Parker

Jose Canseco undergoes surgery after accidentally shooting finger

Oct. 29--Former baseball star Jose Canseco is undergoing surgery after he accidentally nearly shot his finger off in his Las Vegas home Tuesday night, his fianc饠Leila Knight told the Los Angeles Times.

The shooting happened about 3 p.m. while Canseco was cleaning his gun at the kitchen table. There was still a round in the chamber in the handgun because Canseco had recently visited the shooting range, Knight said.

"I heard the gun go off and saw his middle finger hanging by a string," she said.

Canseco shot his middle finger on his left hand.

"It will either have to be amputated or have full reconstruction surgery," Knight said.

Doctors already told the couple Canseco will never have full use of his hand again, Knight said.

Las Vegas police officials confirmed they responded to the shooting. But they declined to elaborate on the circumstances because they did not find any crime had been committed.

Canseco was in poor condition when he arrived at the hospital, Knight said, adding he almost passed out a few times when she called 911 while wrapping a towel around his hand.

Calls to Canseco's publicist for additional comment were not immediately returned.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Follow Ryan Parker for breaking news at @theryanparker and on Facebook.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.