Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Steven Marrocco

Jorge Masvidal: Nate Diaz fight negotiations underway

UFC welterweight Jorge Masvidal now has his own YouTube channel, and it’s the source for all “Gamebred” hype videos.

Two days into his new job as a content creator, Masvidal posted a new video – apparently shot in a video arcade – with an update on his fight with Nate Diaz.

After a triumphant comeback this past Saturday at UFC 241, Diaz gave his version of a respectful callout, saying Masvidal wasn’t a “West Coast gangster.” Cameras caught Masvidal smiling widely cageside.

“I’m from Miami-Dade county,” Masvidal said after rattling off a few moves on Street Fighter 2.. “I’m a dirty south goon – damn right, I ain’t no West Coast gangster. And I’m ready. I’m ready to put it on the line.

“And I’m so gangster with it, we can do it – besides the 7 percent tax in Cali – we can do it in Cali.”

Well, perhaps not California, where Diaz recently won a shoutout from the mayor of his hometown, Stockton. And preferably not New York, where Masvidal lost to Stephen Thompson in 2017.

Masvidal called the New York State Athletic Commission “a little bit rough on the edges” and added “I don’t need to be treated like that. I’m a pro, world-class athlete.”

Other than that, Masvidal said he’s a road warrior who’s down to fight just about anywhere in November or December.

“So Miami peeps, don’t get mad at me if the fight’s not here,” he said. “I’m just going to do what works for me. We’re just negotiating now, and let’s give the fans a fight that they want to see. Two dogs, locked in a cage, going for the jugular.

“You know that I can get hit with a baseball bat, it don’t mean nothing, and same thing with my rival. You can hit that dude with a (expletive) baseball bat to the kneecaps, he’s going to keep coming.”

Masvidal’s manager believes the fight with Diaz could be bigger than a title shot against Kamaru Usman. Abe Kawa previously made headlines by giving the UFC an ultimatum, saying his client would only accept a fight with Conor McGregor or Usman. When UFC President Dana White pushed back on that, he included Diaz on that list.

One thing is certain: Masvidal is a bigger star than ever following a viral five-second knockout of Ben Askren, and he’s about to cash in.

If all goes well, he’ll do it in a low-tax state.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.