Jonathan Rea forced to 'park' North West 200 ride out after incredible response
Jonathan Rea was forced to 'park' plans for a North West 200 ride out after receiving an incredible response on social media.
Rea had planned to travel up to the Triangle circuit on Thursday and had invited fellow bikers to join him in a big two-wheeled cavalcade.
But on Wednesday evening the World Superbike star said the ride out had been cancelled due to some safety concerns over organising such an event at short notice.
Rea said in a video posted on his social media: "After my Facebook post yesterday suggesting a ride out up to the North West 200.
"I was so excited to do this. I was thinking I could get a few local guys together and we could ride up and it would be pretty cool.
"I was so overwhelmed by the response. Within hours there were hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of comments and interest.
"The last time I checked there were 950 comments on my Facebook, and even more on my other social media channels.
"Some of the authorities have suggested that with so little time it would be impossible to organise such an event, which is disappointing.
"But in the name of safety, also the weather looks pretty pants tomorrow, I don't want to be responsible for that size of gig and getting everyone together."
Rea still hopes to host a ride out in the future, potentially turning it into a mass charity event.
"Let's park the idea and not forget it," he added.
"I'd love to ride with you guys. And now I know there is interest I'd love to plan a ride out or charity ride. Let's all ride together and donate some money to charity.
"Maybe sometime we can do that."
Sign up to our free sports newsletter to get the latest headlines to your inbox.