Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
David Struett

Much of Joliet under boil order after water main breaks

Adobe Stock Photo

Many residents in Joliet remain under a water boil order Tuesday after several water main breaks in the southwest suburb.

The order was issued Monday after breaks were located in the east side of the city, including the Edgecreek, Neufairfield, BeeDee Highlands and Thunder Ridge subdivisions, as well as several neighborhoods east of Briggs Street.

In a statement, the City of Joliet Public Utilities department said repairs were finished Monday and that a boil order would be in effect until water tests show the water is safe.

The utilities department laboratory processed water samples Tuesday and will analyze them Wednesday at 5 a.m. to confirm water quality, officials said. The boil order will be lifted shortly after if the quality parameters are met.

Last week, Joliet City Council voted to give Chicago the right to sell Lake Michigan to the city. Joliet will build a 31-mile pipeline and bankroll other pumping station infrastructure improvements costing between $592 million and $810 million, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.