Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Olivia Tobin

John Lennon's killer Mark Chapman denied parole for 11th time

The man who murdered John Lennon has been denied parole for the 11th time.

A representative for the New York parole board said Mark Chapman, now 65, was denied parole and will remain behind bars for at least another two years.

Chapman shot dead the former Beatle outside of Lennon's Manhattan apartment in December, 1980.

He is currently serving a 20-year-to-life sentence at Wende Correctional Facility in New York.

The New York State Board of Parole said Chapman's parole was denied following an interview on August 19.

He is next scheduled to appear before the board in 2022.

The reasons for the denial were not immediately available.

Lennon was 40 when he was shot four times outside the Dakota apartment building in the Upper West Side on December 8 1980, as wife Yoko Ono looked on.

Chapman, who admitted the murder was motivated by a thirst for notoriety, was first eligible for parole in 2000.

In previous hearings, he told how he was still receiving anguished letters about the pain he caused by murdering a revered musician.

Ono, who married Lennon in 1969, had previously opposed Chapman's release, saying she feared for her safety and that of Lennon's two sons, Julian and Sean, should he be freed.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.