Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Jon Heath

John Elway explains why Broncos didn’t go after veteran QBs

Several high-profile NFL quarterbacks became available (or are expected to become available) this offseason.

Cam Newton and Jameis Winston are both free agents. Andy Dalton is likely available via trade. Yet the Broncos, who have an inexperienced starter, didn’t pursue any of the veterans on the market. Why not?

“There are some quarterbacks that are still available, but we decided that we’re going to build around Drew and give him that opportunity to take the job,” Elway said during a pre-draft conference call with reporters on Monday.

Instead of using salary cap space and draft picks to sign or trade for a veteran QB, Denver plans to use its resources to build the roster around Lock. Elway knows his young QB isn’t a finished product but the team is optimistic that Lock will become a leader of the franchise.

“Obviously by no means has Drew ‘made it,'” Elway said. “We believe he’s got the potential to do it, and we think he’s just going to continue to get better and better. He’s still in the learning process and knows that he’s going to have to get better. We really liked what we saw [last year].”

Lock went 4-1 as a starter last season and the Broncos are hoping that he will perform at an even higher level during the 2020 season.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.