Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Liz Hobday

Vic jockeys fined for COVID-19 breach

Four jockeys including top rider Jamie Kah have been fined and had their licences suspended, for breaching Victoria's lockdown restrictions by staying at a Mornington Airbnb.

Jamie Kah, Ethan Brown, Ben Melham and apprentice jockey Celine Gaudray were at an Airbnb with two other people on Wednesday night.

Police were called to the Tallis Drive property due to a noise complaint just before midnight.

"Upon arrival officers located six people inside, all allegedly outside their five km radius and in breach of curfew," Victoria Police said in a statement.

They have each been fined $5452 for breaching the directions of the Chief Health Officer.

The four pleaded guilty to charges laid by racing stewards, of "failure or refusal to comply with an order, direction, or requirement of the stewards or an official".

A two day racing tribunal inquiry into the incident concluded on Friday.

Stewards suspended the racing licences of all four jockeys for three months, meaning none of them can ride in the Spring Racing carnival.

The suspension begins at midnight on 26 August 2021 and expires at midnight on 25 November 2021.

A Victorian Racing Tribunal report into the incident said stewards took into account the riders' guilty pleas and expressions of remorse, and that this was their first offence of this kind.

The stewards' report said the penalties had to be sufficient to deter others from this type of COVID breach.

Racing Victoria chief executive Giles Thompson on Thursday issued a statement condemning their actions, which have come ahead of the Spring Racing Carnival.

"These individuals could have put at risk the very continuance of our sport and also blatantly disregarded the broader community implications through their selfish and thoughtless actions," he said.

He cautioned the alleged breaches did not reflect the rest of the industry, which was working hard to comply with the rules.

"To see all of that potentially thrown away by the reckless behaviour of a small few is incredibly disappointing and far from what is expected of our industry participants," he said.

He also warned of the "critical need" for the industry to follow COVID-19 directives coming up to the Spring Racing carnival.

The jockeys have been banned from race meetings and licensed venues for at least two weeks, and until cleared by stewards and negative COVID-19 tests have been provided.

Racing Victoria says more than 750 race meetings have been held safely since the pandemic began.

Last year's Melbourne Cup carnival was held without spectators at the usually packed Flemington Racecourse.

Any appeal against the penalties must be lodged within three days.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.