Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
World
Christopher Bucktin

JFK assassination documents finally released – but 10,000 files redacted or withheld

A tranche of almost 1,500 previously classified documents over the assassination of John F. Kennedy has been released by the US Government.

Historians - and conspiracy theorists - welcomed the move although it leaves more than 10,000 files either partially redacted or withheld entirely.

The newly released papers include documents about killer Lee Harvey Oswald's contact with a KGB agent two months before the shooting.

They also include memos detailing anonymous phone calls to the US embassy in Canberra, Australia, a year before the shooting, where the caller said the Soviet Government was plotting to kill President Kennedy.

Another call was placed on November 24, two days after the shooting, claiming the Russians were behind it.

The couple and Texas Governor John Connally ride in a liousine moments before Kennedy was assassinated (X80001)

In September 1963, Oswald met with a KGB agent in Mexico City.

The files were today released by the US National Archives, after months of delays by Joe Biden.

The President had promised to make them public but then stalled, citing Covid backlogs as the reason.

He delayed one scheduled release to "protect against identifiable harm to the military defence, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or the conduct of foreign relations that is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in the immediate disclosure."

The move, first ordered by US Congress in 1992 was made to ensure transparency of Government.

Kennedy's widow and his brother U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, walk into the White House grand foyer behind his casket (X80001)

Initial viewing of the documents failed to provide a smoking gun that would substantively answer the circumstances surrounding Kennedy's death.

Many Americans do not believe the Warren Commission's official finding Kennedy was killed by a single man acting alone.

"Because it has taken [the government] so long to get these records out, no matter what comes out, no one is going to believe that that's it," said one official familiar with the classification concerns related to the documents.

The Kennedy family is among those who have repeatedly called for all documents to be made public.

Earlier this year, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., JFK's nephew, said some of the files would remain secret until next year.

The papers that will remain secret until next December have been flagged by national security agencies for further review.

Kennedy was sitting in the backseat of a convertible with First Lady Jackie Kennedy when he was shot in the neck at 12.30pm on November 22, 1963.

Former U.S. Marine Oswald was arrested for the assassination with police believing he shot from a nearby book depository where he was employed.

The alleged killer was gunned down by Texas nightclub owner Jack Ruby while being transferred to the county jail, two days after the assassination.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.