Wide receiver Jeremy Kerley has been suspended for the Jets' next four games because of a violation of the NFL's performance enhancing drugs policy.
The Daily News first reported last week that Kerley expected to be suspended for violating league rules.
Kerley will be eligible to return to the active roster on Dec. 11, one day after the Jets face the Broncos in Denver. That week, on Sunday, Dec. 17, the Jets take on the Saints in New Orleans.
In a statement, Kerley admitted to failing a test.
"I was shocked by a positive test for Turinabol, as I have never knowingly taken any banned substance," Kerley said, referring to an anabolic steroid. "I am 5'9" tall and 180 pounds, and I have never used steroids in my life. I'm a good athlete, but anyone can look at my body composition and tell that I'm not a steroid user. While I did not have enough time prior to the deadline to resolve this case, I fully intend to investigate this matter until I am able to figure out what caused the positive test, because I know I have done nothing wrong.
"When I find out what substance was tainted, I will pursue all remedies at that time because this is not right. I have and will always be a clean player, and I look forward to returning to the Jets to play against the Saints next month."
Kerley is fourth on the team with 227 receiving yards this season. He signed a one-year deal with the Jets' in early September.
On a conference call Monday, Bowles said the Jets could look into adding a receiver. He expects rookies Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart to see increased playing time in Kerley's absence.