Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
Entertainment
Joshua Knapman

Jess Glynne cancels shows including one Welsh concert

It was only last week that Jess Glynne was slammed for pulling out of the Isle of Wight festival at the last minute.

But now the Rather Be singer has cancelled a whole host of her upcoming shows - including one of her shows in Wales.

She was due to play in both Colwyn Bay and Swansea this summer.

The 29-year-old popstar took to Twitter, uploading a lengthy explanation.

She said: "It absolutely kills me to say this - especially given what has happened in the past few weeks - but on the advice of my vocal surgeon, I am going to have to cancel my next shows through until July 14th and I hope to back as soon as possible after that.

"I know many of my fans feel I let them down so badly when I pulled out of the Isle Of Wright Festival but the reason I knew I just wasn't going to be able to make that performance has now been made clear to [me] by my doctor, Dr Zeitels."

Jess had pulled out of the Isle of Wight Festival, after partying with the Spice Girls until the early hours of the morning, leading to organisers giving her a lifelong ban from the event.

In her tweet, she went on to say: "It is true that I went out and celebrated the end of the Spice World tour.

"That was a massive high for me and I wanted to mark it with the women who'd become friends and mentors to me, but I had also been suffering on and off for weeks with anxiety about my voice. It wasn't right.

"I wasn't sounding my best and I felt there was something wrong."

Highlights from Radio 1's Biggest Weekend Swansea

Doctor's orders

Jess, who played at Swansea's Biggest Weekend last summer, added: "Two days ago I came to Boston to see my surgeon who told me my vocal chord has hemorrhaged and that if I want to remain as a performer I needed to urgently take a break, rest my voice completely for the next 10 days and try and remain in total silence to give my vocal chords a chance to recover.

"Basically he told me I have been completely overdoing everything. In the last six months I've performed almost 100 shows, I've pushed through at times when I know I've been tired and overstretched and I got to breaking point, my voice literally got to breaking point.

"The thing is I am my voice. If my voice goes, I go. I am so privileged to do what I do, I am so privileged to have fans out there who come and see me. But I never want to be less than 100 percent."

The singer added: "I am so devastated to be letting anyone down but I want you to know the full truth of my situation so you understand why I have to do this. All I know is I have to go away, look after my voice and come back stronger, better and be the performer my fans truly deserve."

Here's Jess' tweet:

The Welsh shows

Jess Glynne was due to play at Stadiwm Zip World in Colwyn Bay on July 7 .

However that show, along with with gigs up until July 14, have now been cancelled.

She's still set to perform at Swansea's Singleton Park on July 28 .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.