
THE odds appear stacked against him, but former Knights playmaker Jarrod Mullen is leaving no stone unturned in his quest to stage one of the most remarkable comebacks in rugby league history.
Mullen, sacked by the Knights in 2017 for testing positive to a banned steroid and convicted in February of supplying cocaine, completes a four-year ASADA ban on January 16 next year.
Even though he turns 34 next April, Mullen believes he has unfinished business in the NRL and has met with the NRL integrity unit to request a clearance to resume his career.
It's understood the former Newcastle captain and NSW Origin representative has been training hard, including sessions with a strength-and-conditioning coach, and accepts that his most likely pathway back to the NRL would be via the NSW or Queensland Cup competitions.
Former Knights skipper Kurt Gidley, who played alongside Mullen for 11 seasons, had no doubt he was capable of returning to the top grade, if given the opportunity.
"I think he could still be an asset to a club," Gidley said.
"You don't lose the ability he's always had to pass and kick a ball.
"He was always good defensively and a good communicator.
"He's someone who trains at a high level and it sounds like he's kept himself fit.
"He's had a few years out of the game, and that's probably given him a chance to get over his injuries.
"If I was a football director at a club and I could sign him on a minimal deal, I'd certainly be looking at it."
Gidley said he did not condone Mullen's indiscretions but added that his former teammate was "a good person", who had "done his time".
To receive a clearance, Mullen will need to convince the integrity unit he is a "fit and proper person" worthy of an opportunity to play at a professional level.
His decision to complete a drug-and-alcohol counsellor's course at TAFE will presumably strengthen his case.
He would also need to finish 300 hours of community service, the punishment handed down in Wollongong Local Court by Magistrate Jillian Kiely as part of a three-year community corrections order, after Mullen pleaded guilty to buying 39 grams of cocaine - 13 times the trafficable quantity.
It's understood Mullen has abstained from alcohol and drugs since he almost died from an overdose in December, 2018, after which he underwent rehabilitation.
He has also embraced the responsibility of becoming a first-time father earlier this year and has been working as a labourer.
The main obstacle to Mullen's comeback plans is that his steroid ban doesn't end until mid-January, by which time most teams are close to playing trial matches.
It is also unclear how many players will be in each club's NRL squad next year, and whether the NSW and Queensland Cup competitions will resume.
The Knights have been non-committal about offering him a chance.
Mullen has been instructed not to comment until after the integrity unit have made their decision.
IN THE NEWS:
-
NRL: Former Knights star Jarrod Mullen in bold bid for comeback after drugs ban
-
A-League: Topor-Stanley's 30-metre screamer awarded goal of the year
-
NNSW WPL: Eagles part ways with head coach ahead of Olympic clash
-
Rugby Union: Knee injury spells end of campaign for Wildfires fly-half
- Racing: James McDonald doubles down for blueblood wins at Newcastle