Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
Sport
Matt Abbott

James Garner gets Man Utd chance amid Nottingham Forest transfer interest

Former Nottingham Forest loanee James Garner was given a chance to impress Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in a behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday (Tuesday 17 August).

The 20-year-old came off the bench for the final half an hour of the club's 3-1 friendly win against Premier League rivals Burnley at Old Trafford.

He was one of eight substitutes introduced on the hour, including first-team regulars Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba and Luke Shaw.

Reports last week suggested that the midfielder had rejected a new contract with United and that a loan move would not be sanctioned until he did extend his deal, which is currently scheduled to expire next summer.

The club do appear to hold all the cards here, however, as they have an option to extend his current deal for a further year if a new agreement cannot be reached.

Forest are keen to bring the England Under-20 international back to the City Ground for a second season after impressing following his January arrival.

They are not the only side in the Championship with an interest in Garner though, with as many as four rivals in the division said to hold an interest, including Derby County and Stoke City.

Interest is not limited to the second-tier either, as Premier League Brighton & Hove Albion and Norwich City, plus Scottish Premiership champions Rangers are all said to been keeping close tabs on the Birkenhead-born youngster.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.