
Rapist Warren John McCorriston has been sentenced to a maximum of eight-and-a-half years in jail for his crimes against women at Lake Macquarie and on the Central Coast.
McCorriston pleaded guilty in December to five charges related to offences against three women between 1979 and 1999.
The charges included inflicting actual bodily harm with intent to have sexual intercourse, recklessly inflicting actual bodily harm with intent to have sexual intercourse, sexual intercourse without consent, maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm and assault.
The former Lake Macquarie man raped and assaulted two young women between the mid-1980s and late 1990s, according to court documents.
The court heard that he also assaulted a woman at a beach, causing her swimming top to come off, after a period in which he had followed her, showed up at her workplace and bragged about knowing where she lived.
During sentencing on Friday afternoon, Judge Mark Marien described the rapes of the two women in particular - who cannot be named for legal reasons - as "extremely serious" which were "brutal offences in the extreme".
The court heard that, during an attack on one of the women, McCorriston bit her twice on the back, leaving teeth marks.
On another occasion, with a different victim, he repeatedly punched her and then kicked her in the back while she was on the ground, leaving her needing hospital treatment for broken ribs and a collapsed lung.
Judge Marien said it was a "prolonged and brutal attack".
He said he accepted McCorriston's displays of remorse - which included an affidavit, a letter to the court and apologising to his victims from the witness stand - as genuine.
But Judge Marien said any assessment of the 60-year-old's prospects of rehabilitation should be "guarded".
McCorriston's sentence was back-dated to January 2020 - the time of his arrest - given he has been in custody since then.
He was given a non-parole period of four years and six months, meaning he will be first eligible for release in July 2024.
Judge Marien said McCorriston would need "extended supervision" during any parole period.
The former Belmont resident also received a 12 month Community Corrections Order.
McCorriston, a former resort manager in Queensland, was extradited to NSW after Strike Force Arapaima detectives charged him with the historical offences.
Strike Force Arapaima was established in 2019 to investigate the disappearance of 18-year-old Robyn Hickie and 14-year-old Amanda Robinson in 1979 as well as Gordana Kotevski, 16, who was last seen at Charlestown in 1994.
No one has been charged in relation to their disappearances and suspected murders.