Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Italian PM Meets Haftar, Reiterates Need for Ceasefire

A handout photo made available by the Chigi Palace Press Office shows Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte (R) meeting with LNA leader Khalifa Haftar (L) in his office at the Chigi Palace in Rome, Italy, 16 May 2019. EPA/FILIPPO ATTILI

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte met on Thursday with visiting Libyan National Army chief Khalifa Haftar.

"Prime Minister Conte reiterated the need to agree to a ceasefire as soon as possible to avoid a humanitarian crisis in the country and safeguard the already difficult conditions of the Libyan people," his office said following the talks in Rome.

A French presidential source told Reuters that French President Emmanuel Macron will meet Haftar in the middle of next week to discuss how to resume peace talks in Libya.

Macron last week called for a ceasefire in the month-long battle for Libya's capital Tripoli after meeting the head of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez al-Sarraj.

"They will discuss the situation in Libya, the conditions for a return to political dialogue following the visit of Sarraj and in co-ordination with the United Nations and partners," the source said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.