The former treasury official suing the ACT government for wrongful imprisonment has detailed the impact of a murder investigation, 19 years in jail and two criminal trials on his life.
In a 44 page statement, which is available to read in full here, David Harold Eastman, 74, described his upbringing, the son of a Lieutenant Colonel and later diplomat, and his schooling at some of the country's most prestigious schools.

He was dux of his school in his final year and got first class honours in French, A level marks in English, physics, chemistry and mathematics 2 and a B in mathematics 1.
He applied to Oxford University but because he lacked an "O Level" in Latin, did not meet the entrance requirements. He was posted to teach in India after joining the Volunteer Service Overseas and later joined the Australian public service.
On December 22, 1992, Mr Eastman was charged with the murder of Assistant Commissioner Colin Winchester. Mr Winchester had been shot in the head at close range as he got out of his car at his home in Deakin.
Mr Eastman was tried, found guilty and convicted of murder. He spent the next 19 years in jail until a judicial inquiry recommended his conviction be quashed, on the basis of serious flaws in the evidence. A court ordered a retrial and in November last year a jury found him not guilty. He is suing the ACT government for up to $18 million in compensation for wrongful imprisonment under the territory's Human Rights Act.
In his statement, Mr Eastman wrote that he was subject to violence and abuse in prison. The corrections officers' acted with "pure bastardry" in making crude comments about his much-loved sisters. There were threats and taunts and derogatory labels including "murderous c--t" and "dog". Mr Eastman attempted suicide in prison and witnessed many other prisoners attempt to kill themselves.
READ MORE:
"I could not believe the extent of the brutality and barbarity which existed throughout the whole of the prison system. I could not believe that such things could happen in Australia."
He was bitterly disappointed in the High Court's decision to refuse his appeal. "I found it very difficult to accept that the highest court in the land would keep me in gaol based on what I thought was a technicality."
During the police investigation, Mr Eastman said he was subjected to "endless nuisance telephone calls". Unmarked cars would follow him down the street and the occupants would make gun or slashing gestures at him. "Being followed everywhere was driving me crazy. There was no respite or sanctuary."
After the inquiry, Mr Eastman "couldn't believe that I had been convicted in the circumstances which were being revealed ... I felt devastated and empty by what came out.
"Then the DPP announced that I was to be put through the whole ordeal again. I thought, surely I have been through enough already.
"It is very hard for me to describe my feelings during that time. I didn't think I could feel any lower. It all just seemed so unreal. In many ways, I just didn't know what to think.
"I had been in prison for 19 and a half years ... I had had my conviction quashed. In some ways I thought that the whole of the process of being tried again must be happening to somebody else."
Mr Eastman wrote that since his release he had tried to find work without success. He wants to work in research. "If I could get a job, I feel like I could work for at least another 10 years. "I feel that I must do something to make up for all those wasted years.
"I would like to travel and experience the world.
"I would like to meet someone and have a lasting relationship. Someone to spend my remaining years with.
"Since my acquittal, strangers have approached me on the street on several occasions and asked me if I was David Eastman. I said yes, and they said something like, 'I want you to know how happy I am that you were finally proven innocent. I hope you can get on with your life now.'
"That gives me hope for the future."