
Hamas will receive this week the second batch of Qatari funds earmarked to pay the salaries of the movement’s employees in the Gaza Strip, Israeli sources said on Monday. The new transfer amounts to $15 million.
Earlier reports said Hamas threatened to step up a popular uprising if Israel did not commit to transfer the money.
The movement is preparing to celebrate at end of this week the 31st anniversary of the first Intifada, which broke out in 1987.
The Israeli Yedioth Ahronoth daily questioned whether the step taken with Israel’s approval would have serious repercussions, given that the transfer of the first batch of $15 million to Hamas ended with a dangerous escalation between Israel and the movement, including the launch of about 500 rockets from the Gaza Strip towards Israel, the bombing of high buildings in Gaza and the resignation of Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman.
It remains unclear how the second batch of funds will be transferred to Gaza.
Israeli sources said that photos of “the entry of bags loaded with Qatari funds, through the Erez crossing last time, raised a wave of criticism against the Israeli government.”
This time, Israel is expected to prevent taking photos of the bags.
Yedioth wrote that a large part of the money that will enter Gaza in the coming days will be distributed to around 30,000 employees working for Hamas.
Another part will go to the families of those who were killed or injured during the “Great March of Return.”
Last month, Qatar transferred $15 million in bags carried by Qatari Diplomat Mohammad al-Emadi, sparking widespread controversy in Israel and anger in Ramallah, which has accused Qatar of supporting plans to separate the Gaza Strip by providing financial support to Hamas.
The two batches are part of a sum of $90 million Qatar has allocated to pay the salaries of Hamas employees. Israel has agreed that Qatar provide the funds, but said would impose security checks on the beneficiaries.