
Israeli troops targeted Wednesday the Islamic Jihad sniper squad near Khan Younis, south of the Gaza Strip, hours after Israel eased some restrictions in the Palestinian enclave.
The Israeli military said in a statement that it targeted a cell that had opened fire on its forces on the Israeli side of the border.
Israeli troops “attacked the sniper cell to neutralize the threat,” it said.
Islamic Jihad did not release a statement, but medical sources said one Palestinian was slightly injured in the attack.
Tension between Israel and Islamic Jihad has been high since last November, when they clashed for two days after Israel assassinated a senior commander of the movement, Baha Abu al-Atta.
Earlier this week, Israel extended Gaza’s fishing zone to 15 nautical miles and increased the number of travel permits from the Strip to 2,000, following three days of relative calm in the coastal enclave.
Prior to that, Israel had restricted the fishing zone down to 10 nautical miles and canceled some 500 travel permits after weeks of regular rocket fire and the launching of explosive-laden balloons into Israel.
Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories Maj. Gen. Kamil Abu Rukun announced that Israel will extend the zone and increase the number of permits as long as the quiet is preserved.
According to Yedioth Aharonoth daily, the eased restrictions came after pressure exerted by army chief of staff Aviv Kochavi and the government's coordinator in the regions.
The army wants to encourage the establishment of factories to improve Gaza’s infrastructure, and the humanitarian situation in order to stop explosive balloons and missile attacks.
Israeli Defense Minister Naftali Bennett said Wednesday he is prepared to “give Hamas a chance” to fully implement ceasefire understandings. He added that Israel is nonetheless preparing for a military campaign that would lead to “a fundamental change” in the Gaza Strip.
Speaking in an interview with Ynet, Bennett claimed he remains skeptical, but “if the use of military force can be avoided, I prefer it.”
He warned that if Hamas continues its violent attacks against Israel, the movement is in for “a very painful spring.”
The Minister then said that if the explosive balloons and rocket attacks are renewed, “we'll close the border again.”
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the military was planning a “big surprise” for Hamas if the movement failed to curb violence aimed at southern Israel.
Speaking to Army Radio, Netanyahu warned that Hamas and other organizations such as Islamic Jihad must understand that either there is complete quiet and they rein in the rogue factions “or we will have no choice but to launch our operational programs. I can’t share what they are, but I can say it will be a big surprise.”