Hunter activist Zack Schofield is believed to have been taken to Israel in the custody of that country's military, after he was arrested for the second time in as many months over his participation in a flotilla attempting to sail aid to Gaza.
Mr Schofield, who rejoined the Global Sumud Flotilla on May 9 after an initial detention on board an Israeli naval vessel earlier this month, was intercepted again this week with 11 other Australians.
Israel's Foreign Ministry, which has characterised the flotilla as a "PR stunt at the service of Hamas", said in a brief statement early Wednesday morning that 430 activists had been detained and were being taken to Israel to "meet with their consular representatives".
It comes as reports emerge that Israel's military fired on at least two vessels in the fleet on Tuesday, though the Foreign Ministry disputes the claim.
Video footage captured by the protesters appears to show forces on board a military vessel sailing alongside a flotilla boat, firing several projectiles as those onboard take cover with their hands raised.
Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Oren Marmorstein posted on social media overnight that "at no point was live ammunition fired", and described the projectiles as "non-lethal means" that were fired at the vessel as a warning.
The government has insisted no protesters were injured.
The group behind the fleet, which set sail from Italy late last month with hundreds of protesters and about 500 tonnes of humanitarian aid and medicine with an aim of breaking Israel's blockade of Gaza, said its remaining 50 vessels had been intercepted in the Eastern Mediterranean and all activists had been detained.
Mr Schofield, a leader in the Rising Tide climate action group and a high-profile Hunter activist, joined the fleet of civilian vessels with an Australian delegation in April.
He told the Newcastle Herald before departing that he was appalled by the treatment of Palestinians in Gaza, and critical of Australia's government for continuing to ally with Israel amid accusations its genocide in the Middle East.
"Killing unarmed civilians is always evil," he said. "Every time, and at any scale. I'm trying to do something about it."
"A country our politicians call a mate is actively starving and bombing civilians."
The Australian delegation's spokeswoman, and Rising Tide organiser, Alexa Stuart said in a statement on Wednesday that the group had lost contact with protesters in the fleet at about 5.30pm Australian Eastern time on Monday, May 18.
There were grave concerns for their safety, the group said.
"In protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons, at least 87 participants committed to a hunger strike," Ms Stuart said, adding that Mr Schofield and Australians Neve O'Connor and Gemma O'Toole were among those refusing food.
The last 10 vessels comprising the fleet, initially estimated to number around 80 when it set sail, were intercepted overnight about 470 kilometres from Gaza. The final boat to be stopped had reached about 150 kilometres from the Strip.
Mr Schofield's parents released a video pleading for their son's release late on Tuesday.
"We are very proud of Zack's courage and humanity," his mother, Joanne Jaworowski, said. "We're extremely worried about his safety."
Mr Schofield was initially detained in April among six other Australians, including two from the Hunter. He was held onboard and Israeli vessel for two days before being released to a Greek hospital and Australian consular representatives.
His father, prominent Hunter neurological doctor Peter Schofield, and other protesters have claimed that those detained were mistreated and beaten onboard.
"I am so angry about that," Ms Jaworowski said, adding that she had not had any contact from her son or from Australian officials since he was detained again this week.
"When will the Australian government break their silence?" Dr Schofield said.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said Wednesday afternoon that representatives were "engaging with Israeli authorities on the welfare of detained Australians" and were "making preparations" to visit them.
"We want to see all detained Australians released as soon as possible," a department spokesperson told the Herald.
"Australian officials continue to make clear to Israel our expectation that any detainees receive humane treatment in line with international norms."
The department had issued a warning not to travel to the Middle East before the flotilla sailed last month, citing the unrest and danger to civilians amid ongoing war in the region. It reiterated its warning against the protest and has urged Australians to support humanitarian initiatives in Gaza through official channels.
"Before their departure, the Foreign Minister arranged for participants to receive a full DFAT briefing on the latest travel advice and available consular services. DFAT strongly encouraged them not to participate, given the risks to their safety and that of others," the spokesperson said.
Rising TIde will hold a candlelight vigil on Wednesday night outside Newcastle MP Sharon Claydon's Hunter Street office in solidarity with Mr Schofield and in demand of his and other detainees' release.
The group said it is urging the federal government to intervene and ensure the safe return of Australian protesters.
An earlier vigil was staged by Global Sumud Flotilla organisers outside Kirribilli House in Sydney, where Hunter activist Ethan Floyd, who was detained with Mr Schofield and four other Australians last month, criticised the federal government's response and decried Israel's conduct.
"For the second time in as many months, Australian citizens have been illegally abducted in international waters by the rogue state of Israel," he said.
"Israel cannot continue to behave with impunity, while it violates international law and commits acts of violence against Australian citizens. We are calling on the Australian government to expel the Israeli ambassador, end the two-way arms trade with Israel, and impose real political and economic sanctions on this rogue state."
The details of this report are developing. It may be updated.