Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Killing 33 Malian Soldiers

FILE PHOTO: Troops from the Malian Armed Forces and French soldiers conduct a joint patrol during the regional anti-insurgent Operation Barkhane in Inaloglog, Mali, October 17, 2017. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo

ISIS’ West Africa affiliate claimed responsibility on Sunday for an ambush last week that killed 33 Malian soldiers in the country’s volatile north, according to a statement published by the SITE Intelligence Group.

Fourteen soldiers were also injured in Tuesday's attack near the northern town of Tessit, located about 60 kilometers southeast of Ansongo in the Gao region, near the border with Niger, according to Mali's army.

The military earlier said that the UN peacekeeping mission known as MINUSMA helped evacuate the wounded soldiers. Helicopters from the French mission in Mali known as Operation Barkhane also helped the Malian military secure the area in the aftermath, a statement said.

ISIS said in a statement on Sunday that its fighters captured three vehicles as well as weapons and ammunition, according to SITE.

The group has claimed responsibility for previous attacks on either side of the border that have killed dozens of Malian and Nigerien soldiers. It also carried out the 2017 ambush in the Nigerien village of Tongo Tongo that killed four American special forces troops and five Nigerien soldiers.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.