Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Clare McCarthy & Louise Burne

Irish Government considers putting time limit on support for refugees

The Government is considering putting a time limit on supports and accommodation for refugees in Ireland.

New proposals that are to be brought before a Cabinet committee on Ukraine on Tuesday and will consider putting in place an expiration date on supports that are offered, particularly on accommodation, the Irish Times reports.

This type of policy would be in line with other European Union countries, according to a senior Government source. However, any discussions on this are at an early stage.

READ MORE: Citywest transit hub closes to asylum seekers due to capacity issues

This comes as the Irish Government is struggling to find accommodation for International Protection Seekers.

Last week, the Department of Integration announced that the Citywest Transit Hub would be closed to asylum seekers due to capacity issues.

Integration Minister Roderic O’Gorman confirmed that it was likely that the facility in Dublin would close within days.

Ireland is accommodating more than 73,000 International Protection Seekers and Ukrainian refugees who have sought refuge here.

The Department said that the response to the ongoing migration crisis has now entered an “extremely difficult phase” and there is “insufficient accommodation available nationwide for International Protection (IP) applicants”.

A spokesperson said: “The outlook for accommodation for people fleeing the war in Ukraine is also challenging.

“As a result of this, it has now become necessary to pause the provision of emergency shelter for IP adults arriving into the Transit Hub at Citywest.

“The Transit Hub will remain open for all other matters, including processing of accommodation for Ukrainian Beneficiaries of Temporary Protection (BOTP). The International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) will continue to provide accommodation for IP families with children.

“Due to the nationwide shortage of available accommodation for IP applicants, particularly single males, the Transit Hub has been providing emergency shelter while applicants wait to be assigned to accommodation. It is no longer possible to provide emergency shelter to IP adults as the Transit Hub has now reached capacity.”

READ NEXT:

Get breaking news to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.