Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
National
Darragh Berry

Ireland lockdown: 'Level 5 for six weeks' advises NPHET as Tony Holohan issues stark three-word warning

NPHET is reported to have advised the Government last night to put the country into Level 5 for six weeks, hours after Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan issued a stark three-word warning.

According to reports this morning, the public health body told Health Minister Stephen Donnelly in a letter, that the highest Lockdown level should be introduced in a desperate bid to curve the current spike.

But in this letter, NPHET is said to have recommended that schools remain open according to The Irish Daily Mail.

It also noted that it would reconsider the Level's strictness on the elderly with over 70s currently being asked to cocoon at this level.

This revelation comes as the CMO said that it was clear that Covid-19 in Ireland was "not in control".

Warning that the disease had nearly "doubled" in the last two weeks, he said Ireland is still facing a serious challenge.

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, pictured on Monday 25th May at a Covid -19 update press conference at the Department of Health. (Colin Keegan, Collins Agency, Dublin)

He said: "It’s clear the disease is not in control. That's the situation in the North of Ireland.

"That's the same situation in Europe. We share that challenge.

"Almost no country in Europe could regard them as having this virus in control."

He added: “The data is clear - The infection has added at least 50% in the last seven days.

"It has close to doubled in the ten days since the beginning of last week."

 
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.