Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Iraq Boosts Security Measures at Balad Base As US Forces Prepare to Evacuate

FILE - in this Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018 file photo, an Iraqi army soldier stand guard near a US- made Iraqi Air Force F-16 fighter jet at the Balad Air Base, Iraq. (AP Photo/Khalid Mohammed, File)

Security measures have been increased at the Balad air base, one of the country’s largest bases housing American trainers, a top Iraqi air force commander said Saturday.

The new stepped-up measures come following an attack that took place last week without inflicting casualties.

Gen. Falah Fares told the Associated Press on Saturday that the measures include a night-time curfew, boosting security inside and near the base as well as surveillance of nearby areas.

These measures are being carried out in coordination with the US, Fares added.

Meanwhile, US forces are preparing to evacuate nearly 400 of staff working for Lockheed Martin Corp and Sallyport Global from the Balad military base where they work as contractors, according to three Iraqi military sources.

The evacuation comes over "potential security threats", the sources said without giving details about the threats.

Their departure was imminent, the sources noted, Reuters reported.

The US military informed Iraqi officials that they would begin evacuating about half of the 800 employees who work for both companies, said a military official with knowledge of the base’s daily operations.

The official said the evacuation would take about 10 days.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.