Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
International Business Times
International Business Times
World

Iran Is Reportedly Preparing To Expand The War, Planning With Proxies And Ramping Up Missile And Drone Production

A new report claims that Iran is gearing up for a significant escalation in the war. (Credit: Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)

Iranian leadership is taking steps to widen the war with the U.S. and Israel, according to a new report.

The Wall Street Journal cited Arab intelligence officials who claim that Tehran is seeing a "strategic shift" and have begun taking steps to "get their forces ready to widen the war."

The steps include ramping up drone and missile production, as well as conversations with proxies in Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon to escalate conflicts elsewhere in the region.

One example was the providing of a list of Saudi targets to Yemen's Houthi rebels, the report added. The Iranian revolutionary guard has also sent neighbors a list of energy facilities that it said will strike if hostilities escalate again.

There are no signs that diplomacy will prevail. Iran has most recently said the fact the deadline to reach a deal with the U.S. as part of the memorandum of understanding the countries reached earlier this year is "irrelevant" given renewed hostilities.

"The 60-day discussion is no longer relevant," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baqaei said, according to remarks published by state-run news agency IRNA.

Baqaei went on to say the period was set to kick off negotiations over the "nuclear issue" and the "lifting of sanctions," but that has not been the case because the U.S. violated the terms and prevented them from taking place.

President Donald Trump, on his end, said there is a backchannel for peace talks but Iran "should put up the white flag of surrender." "I have no time schedule," Trump told Fox News' Trey Ingst on Monday. "They're good poker players, but they're dying," he added.

The Trump administration is focusing on economic pressure, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent saying last week that the U.S. will apply economic measures "that have never been seen on Iran."

Speaking to Newsmax, Bessent said the tactic "will be a combination of economic isolation like ‌the world has ​never seen before, ​and ​the continued blockade in ‌the Strait of ​Hormuz that will ​keep anything from going in or out of ​the ‌Iranian ports." He did not elaborate further, only saying "just watch this space."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.