Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Iran Guards Threaten to Hit the US if it Makes a Move

In this Thursday, May 9, 2019 photo released by the US Navy, the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group transits the Suez Canal in Egypt. (Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Darion Chanelle Triplett/U.S. Navy via AP)

A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander said on Sunday the US military presence in the Gulf used to be a serious threat but now represented a target.

"An aircraft carrier that has at least 40 to 50 planes on it and 6,000 forces gathered within it was a serious threat for us in the past but now it is a target and the threats have switched to opportunities," said Amirali Hajizadeh, head of the Guards' aerospace division.

"If (the Americans) make a move we will hit them in the head," he added, according to ISNA.

The US military has sent forces, including an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers, to the Middle East in a move US officials said was to counter "clear indications" of threats from Iran to its forces in the region.

The USS Abraham Lincoln is replacing another carrier rotated out of the Gulf last month.

Major General Hossein Salami, appointed head of the Guards last month, told parliament on Sunday the United States had started a psychological war in the region, the parliamentary spokesman said.

"Commander Salami, with attention to the situation in the region, presented an analysis that the Americans have started a psychological war because the comings and goings of their military is a normal matter," spokesman Behrouz Nemati said, according to parliament's ICANA news site.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.