Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
National

Investigation into man's death after mixed jabs

Nattha Nawo shows the vaccination certificate given to her son Supoj Prasarnchue, 39, who died one week after receiving a second dose, of a different Covid-19 vaccine, in Bua Yai district of Nakhon Ratchasima. (Photo supplied: Prasit Tangprasert)

An investigation has been launched into the death of a 39-year-old man a week after he received a second Covid-19 shot, with a different vaccine, in Nakhon Ratchasima.

Supoj Prasarnchue died on Oct 7 in hospital. He had been given a first dose, of Sinovac vaccine, on Aug 30. On Sept 30 he was inoculated for a second time, with the AstraZeneca vaccine.

After receiving the second dose he returned home. He later had a high fever and a headache.

On Oct 4, Supoj phoned his mother and said he was not well. Relatives took him for treatment at hospital.

An X-ray showed he had suffered a brain haemorrhage. He was treated in intensive care for three days, and pronounced dead on Oct 7.

Relatives questioned the circumstances of his death and whether the mixing of the two vaccines after only a month might be a cause.

The investigation would take 3-4 weeks, a doctor said.

The man's family would receive compensation. It was ministry policy that if a person died within three weeks of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine, financial compensation would be paid.

Compensation of 400,000 baht would be given to Supoj's family this week.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.