Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Kit Vickery

Investigation continues into terrifying machete attack which left man seriously injured

Police are continuing to investigate a terrifying machete attack which left a man in hospital with serious injuries.

Armed police descended on the junction of Duchess Street and Trent Road, Shaw, just before 6.45pm on Saturday, March 20.

Officers say a man in his late 30s had been attacked by another man with a machete.

The victim was rushed to hospital with serious injuries, where he remains in a stable condition.

A police van remained at the scene on Sunday morning, as nearby residents were left shocked by the evening's events.

One neighbour said: "We were just sat watching the rugby and saw the emergency services go down the road - I thought they were just going through to a crash, we see them come through quite a lot so I assumed they were going to the motoway.

"It was only when we could still see the lights that we poked our head out and saw what was going on, there were lots of police down by the ginnel.

"I don't know what happened, all I've heard is hearsay and rumours on Facebook, we don't normally see the police around here."

Two men, aged 23 and 51, were arrested near the scene on suspicion of assault, and remained in police custody for questioning overnight.

Armed officers rushed to the scene (ASP)

There is not believed to be any wider risk to the community, a spokesman for GMP confirmed.

One neighbour, who lives across the road from the area at the centre of the investigation, said: "I just hope that everyone's safe, that's the most important thing."

Another added: "It's a bit close to home, it was a bit scary with the armed police.

"I don't know the guy, but I hope everyone's ok."

Speaking on Saturday night, a spokesman for GMP said: "Shortly before 18:45hrs on Saturday 20th March 2021, police received reports of a male having been attacked by another male who was in possession of a machete.

“Specialist armed officers were deployed to the scene, alongside colleagues from the North West Ambulance Service who provided medical assistance to the victim, a male in his late 30s.

“He has now been taken to hospital where his condition is described as serious but stable.

“Two further males, aged 23 and 51, were arrested nearby on suspicion of serious assault and they remain in police custody.

“There is not believed to be any wider risk to the local community.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.