Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
Sport
Dominic Booth

Inter Milan chief flies in for Romelu Lukaku transfer talks

Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio has flown to London to meet Manchester United officials over a move for Romelu Lukaku.

Inter and their new boss Antonio Conte are keen to agree a transfer for Lukaku, though sources in Italy have told MEN Sport the Nerazzurri would prefer a deal which includes players in exchange or a financially structured arrangement paid over instalments.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said on Thursday that the club hadn’t received any offers for players and added “we are Man United, we don’t have to sell”, though it is understood the Reds will entertain cash bids around the £75million mark for Lukaku – the figure they paid Everton for his services two years ago.

The Belgian striker was often used on the right wing by Solskjaer last season and despite bagging a brace in United’s famous Champions League comeback win at Paris Saint-Germain on March 6, failed to find the net for the rest of the season as United’s form dipped dramatically.

The 26-year-old is interested in a move to Serie A, since it appears Solskjaer will build his team around Marcus Rashford. The England striker signed a new four-year contract last month and looks set to become United’s de facto first choice centre-forward. Solskjaer is also keen to give 17-year-old Mason Greenwood more game time in the coming campaign.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.