Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics

Inter fan dies after being hit by car during pre-match clashes

Forensic investigators work in an area near a street where Inter Milan soccer fan has died after being struck by a vehicle during clashes with Napoli supporters near Milan's San Siro stadium before Serie A soccer match between the teams, in Milan, Italy, December 27, 2018. REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo

MILAN (Reuters) - An Inter Milan soccer fan has died after being struck by a vehicle during clashes with Napoli supporters outside Milan's San Siro stadium before Wednesday's Serie A game between the teams, police said Thursday.

Milan police chief Marcello Cardona said that the 35-year-old supporter had died in hospital. Three people had been arrested in connection with the clashes but it was not known who was driving the vehicle which hit the fan.

The match itself was marred by racist insults from some fans at Napoli's Senegalese defender Kalidou Koulibaly.

A forensic investigator works in an area near a street where Inter Milan soccer fan has died after being struck by a vehicle during clashes with Napoli supporters near Milan's San Siro stadium before Serie A soccer match between the teams, in Milan, Italy, December 27, 2018. REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo

"Just before the match, a coach carrying the Naples ultras was attacked by more than one hundred supporters from Inter," said Cardona.

"The Nerazzurri (Inter) fans attacked the Neapolitans with bars and sticks and immediately there was a rush of people."

Cardona said the victim was struck by one of the vehicles trying to escape the trouble.

Forensic investigators work in an area near a street where Inter Milan soccer fan has died after being struck by a vehicle during clashes with Napoli supporters near Milan's San Siro stadium, before Serie A soccer match between the teams, in Milan, Italy, December 27, 2018. REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo

Cardona said police would request that the part of the San Siro stadium which hosts Inter's hardcore "ultra" fans be closed until the end of March and that Inter fans be barred from attending away games for the rest of the season.

(Writing by Brian Homewood; Editing by Peter Graff)

A wooden stick that was used in clashes between Inter Milan and Napoli supporters lies on the ground near Milan's San Siro stadium in Milan, Italy, December 27, 2018. REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.