Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Intel suspends share buybacks, warns of likely coronavirus hit

FILE PHOTO: U.S. chipmaker Intel Corp's logo is seen on their "smart building" in Petah Tikva, near Tel Aviv, Israel December 15, 2019. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File Photo

Chipmaker Intel Corp said on Tuesday it would suspend its share buybacks and warned that the coronavirus pandemic could have a material impact on its business, even as its factories remain operational.

The suspension of buybacks would not impact dividend payments, Intel said in a filing.

Intel in October 2019 said it would repurchase $20 billion worth of shares over the next 15 to 18 months. The company bought back about $7.6 billion in shares in the fourth and the first quarter.

Intel's decision follows measures by big companies including AT&T Inc and Boeing Co, which last week announced similar plans, citing coronavirus concerns.

(Reporting by Akanksha Rana in Bengaluru; Editing by Vinay Dwivedi)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.