Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business

Indonesia to suspend foreign arrivals as coronavirus cases, deaths rise

A man wearing a face mask walks on a pedestrian bridge amid coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Jakarta, Indonesia, March 31, 2020. REUTERS/Willy Kurniawan

Indonesia's foreign minister said on Tuesday the government would ban all arrivals and transit by foreigners in Indonesia as the number of coronavirus cases and deaths rise.

This comes a day after Indonesian President Joko Widodo said that he planned stricter rules on mobility and social distancing after a report showed more than 140,000 people in the Southeast Asian country could die in the pandemic.

Foreigners with residence visas and some diplomatic visits will be exempted from the ban, foreign minister Retno Marsudi said, adding that the government aims to issue the regulations for the ban on Tuesday.

Homeless people sleep on a street while a street vendor wearing a face mask looks on outside a closed store, amid coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, at Tanah Abang textile market in Jakarta, Indonesia, March 31, 2020. REUTERS/Willy Kurniawan

The government will also strengthen screening for Indonesian nationals returning to the country, she said.

"The president has decided that the existing policy needed to be strengthened," Marsudi said, adding that details of the rules would be published later Tuesday.

She said she did not know when the new travel ban would take effect.

Woman wearing a face mask walks outside closed Tanah Abang textile market amid coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Jakarta, Indonesia, March 31, 2020. REUTERS/Willy Kurniawan

Medical experts have said the world's fourth-most-populous country must impose tighter movement restrictions as known cases of the highly infectious respiratory illness have gone from zero in early March to 1,414, with 122 deaths.

Indonesia's foreign ministry previously prohibited the entry and transit of visitors from seven European countries plus Iran, China and South Korea from March 20. Travellers not included in the ban had to obtain a health certificate from their home countries.

A man wearing a face mask walks on a pedestrian bridge amid coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Jakarta, Indonesia, March 31, 2020. REUTERS/Willy Kurniawan

(Reporting by Maikel Jefriando; Writing by Fransiska Nangoy and Fathin Ungku; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman and Gerry Doyle)

A dog is pictured near a barricade to close the access to Canggu beach temporarily amid the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Bali, Indonesia, March 30, 2020. REUTERS/Nyimas Laula
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.