CLEVELAND _ Indians outfielder Michael Brantley hopes this time, things are different. Right now, it feels different, which is the most positive news he's had in quite some time.
Brantley is attempting, for a third time, to return to the Indians' lineup and stay in it after offseason shoulder surgery and twice being shut down because of soreness. To date, he's logged only 11 regular-season games and two Cactus League-games this season.
Brantley, now on the 60-day disabled list, took batting practice at Progressive Field prior to Tuesday's game against the Detroit Tigers. The feedback was all positive, a hopeful sign that the third attempt is the last following two anti-inflammatory shots, two opinions on his shoulder, biceps tendonitis and a lost first half to the regular season.
"I just know I'm stronger," Brantley said. "I did a lot of rehab, a lot of strengthening exercises and I know how I'm bouncing back every day. I know how my body feels. I'm in a great position. I feel great. I'm very excited to come back and help this team in a positive way."
Brantley's progress with his shoulder has been the underlying question in a season in which the Indians have jumped out to their biggest lead in the American League Central (6{ games entering Tuesday) this late in the season since 1999.
"That's a nice step for him to get on the field and hit," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "Once they diagnosed what was going on, he had been working so hard with that shoulder that he's pretty strong. I think that was probably the best news we could have ever received when he got the diagnosis (biceps tendonitis), got the shot, cleared it up and now he can go about his business and return to action.
"We'll see how long that takes. We need to still use good judgment, because he's been down a long time."