Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics

India tells China continuing border tensions not in either side's interests

FILE PHOTO: India's Minister of External Affairs Subrahmanyam Jaishankar attends a joint news conference with Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov following their talks in Moscow, Russia July 9, 2021. REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov/Pool

The failure of China and India to resolve the standoff over their disputed border in the western Himalayas, despite an agreement last year, is not in the interest of either side, India's foreign minister told his Chinese counterpart on Wednesday.

In accordance with last year's pact, military commanders on both sides completed a pullout of troops, tanks and artillery from the Pangong Lake area in February in a first step towards full withdrawal from other friction points.

India's minister of external affairs, S Jaishankar, said friction in these other areas remained unresolved, however.

FILE PHOTO: Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi meets Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation meeting in Moscow, Russia September 10, 2020. China Daily via REUTERS

"(The minister) recalled that both sides had agreed that a prolongation of the existing situation was not in the interest of either side. It was visibly impacting the relationship in a negative manner," India's foreign ministry said in a statement.

Jaishankar and China's Wang Yi met at the sidelines of a gathering of foreign ministers in Tajikistan on Wednesday.

Thousands of soldiers have been facing off since April 2020 on the Line of Actual Control (LAC), or the de facto border, including at the glacial Pangong Lake, raising fears of a broader conflict between the two countries.

FILE PHOTO: China's State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi waves as he leaves a joint news conference with his Japanese counterpart Toshimitsu Motegi, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Tokyo, Japan, November 24, 2020. REUTERS/Issei Kato/Pool

Both Indian and Chinese soldiers were killed in a clash in June last year - the first combat losses on the disputed border in more than four decades.

The two ministers agreed to seek a mutually acceptable solution to the problem and ensure stability on the ground by avoiding any unilateral action that could increase tension, the statement said.

(Reporting by Abhirup Roy and C.K. Nayak; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.