Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Andrew Brown

Increase in national cabinet meetings not necessary: Barr

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr, speaking at Canberra Airport on Monday morning. Picture: Karleen Minney

Increasing the number of national cabinet meetings in order to focus on vaccine supply issues is not necessary, according to the ACT's Chief Minister.

Speaking ahead of Monday's meeting of the Prime Minister and state and territory leaders, Andrew Barr said holding national cabinet meetings twice a week meant decision makers may not be getting the most accurate information on the vaccine rollout.

"I'm not sure two meetings [per week] are actually necessary because generally what happens is we need a lot of work done between meetings to present information and make informed decisions," Mr Barr told reporters on Monday morning.

"Sometimes having too many meetings means you are getting rushed advice and you don't have time to read and absorb the information properly and you don't make the best decisions.

"While I will turn up to the meetings convened, I don't want to see this rushed. We've got to get this right."

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced last week national cabinet would meet twice a week, following growing issues with Australia's vaccine rollout.

It comes after changes in advice for the AstraZeneca vaccine, limiting its use to mostly over-50s, and delays in securing additional doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Leaders will meet on Monday, with vaccine rollout issues and Pfizer supply set to dominate discussions.

A second meeting will be held at the end of the week.

Mr Barr said it was hoped there would be a few days between talks in order to get more accurate data that would then inform the ACT's vaccine rollout.

"What we're all asking is what level of information the Commonwealth can supply, and that clearly will guide a range of decisions, and whether we need to stand up more vaccine capacity for later in the year," Mr Barr said.

"It's not the number of meetings I'm interested in but the quality of advice."

Prior to the issues and advice changes made to the AstraZeneca vaccine, the ACT government was set to administer one-third of the vaccines in the territory, with the Commonwealth set to deliver the remaining two-thirds of doses.

However, the Chief Minister said that ratio could change following national cabinet discussions.

While other jurisdictions have hinted at establishing mass vaccination centres to speed up the rollout, Mr Barr said there was no point committing to additional centres in the ACT unless vaccine supply was guaranteed.

Mass vaccination centres have already been slated to open at Calvary Public Hospital at the end of April, similar to the Garran Surge Centre.

"We have a significant advantage in being a city state with an established network of vaccine hubs, and we're better placed than most to continue a safe and effective rollout," Mr Barr said.

"The principle issue for us is the reliability of supply."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.