Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
Mark Reddie and Lily Mayers

Dad pleads for access to missing backpacker's WhatsApp messages

Laurent Hayez arrived in Australia at the weekend to search for his missing son, Theo.

The father of a missing Belgian backpacker has made an emotional plea for information as homicide detectives join the search effort in northern NSW.

Theo Hayez's father, Laurent Hayez, broke down as he pleaded for public information about his son's disappearance, saying the 18-year-old was "in grave danger".

"When I left Belgium I promised Theo's little brother, Lucas, I would bring his brother home, please help me keep my promise to him," he said.

Theo had been in the popular tourist town of Byron Bay for less than 24 hours when he disappeared after leaving the Cheeky Monkey's nightclub at around 11pm on Friday, May 31.

"We know that Theo used WhatsApp the night he disappeared," Mr Hayez said.

"We understand the politics about confidentiality and respect that.

"However, this is a question of providing assistance to a person in grave danger.

"It is vital that investigators get access to Theo's WhatsApp account without delay. Every minute counts."

In a statement WhatsApp said it was working with police.

"We understand the important work being carried out by law enforcement and are assisting them in accordance with applicable law and our terms of service," a spokesperson said.

'We are baffled'

NSW police were notified of Theo's disappearance when hostel staff found his belongings, including his passport, in his room, but realised he had failed to check out.

SES crews, the dog squad, lifeguards, local volunteers and police are continuing to search the Byron Bay headlands, east and north of the town, as well as beaches and swamps.

Rescue teams have also searched the Cape Byron area, where his mobile phone was last "pinged" on June 1, 2019.

But so far, there has been no trace of him.

A NSW Police spokesperson said they were not able to rule anything out and that "there's no indication at the moment of which way the search is going".

Detectives have released new CCTV footage showing Theo at a convenience store about 7.45pm on the evening he disappeared.

"We are baffled. We are baffled because that is all we have," the spokesperson said.

Mr Hayez thanked those involved in the search effort.

"I would like to thank his cousin and his godfather, who since it was discovered that Theo was missing, have been searching for him," he said.

"I would like to thank the Byron Bay community and all Australians for their welcome, logistical support and their lovely kindness.

"Thanks also to SES and all the volunteers who have been searching for him."

In a statement, WhatsApp said it was working with authorities.

"Our hearts go out to Theo Hayez and his family," the statement said.

"We understand the important work being carried out by law enforcement and are assisting them in accordance with applicable law and our terms of service."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.