Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Henry McDonald Ireland correspondent

Improvised bomb found by police in west Belfast

Bomb disposal teams in Poleglass, west Belfast, on Tuesday.
Bomb disposal teams in Poleglass, west Belfast, on Tuesday. Photograph: AMMG Media/Demotix/Corbis

A mortar-bomb-style device has been discovered during a security operation in west Belfast.

It was found on grassland close to the Poleglass estate in the west ofthe city on Tuesday evening.

Police said the improvised explosive device had been left in an area where children passed by to go to school and nursery school.

DI Stuart Griffin of the Police Service of Northern Ireland said: “This device had the capability to cause serious injury and was left in an open public area where anybody, including children, could have found it.”

The local Sinn Féin councillor, Stephen Magennis, said the disruption caused by the security alert was unacceptable. “Those responsible for this device need to explain to this community what it will achieve,” he said.

The find comes less than a week after the PSNI raided a home in Ballymurphy, also in the west of the city, where they discovered half a kilo of semtex, 200 rounds of ammunition and two handguns.

A 45-year-old man with an address in Sunderland appeared in Belfast magistrates court earlier on Tuesday to face charges in connection to the Ballymurphy raid.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.