Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
Lifestyle
Robert McCoppin

Illinois clarifies mandatory 21-day Ebola quarantine

Oct. 27--Illinois health officials clarified Monday that the state's new mandatory home quarantine for people exposed to the Ebola virus does not include medical workers who wore appropriate protective clothing.

The initial announcement by Gov. Pat Quinn's office Friday said the 21-day quarantine "includes any high-risk medical personnel who have performed medical services to individuals infected with the Ebola virus."

A new announcement said medical workers who wore appropriate personal protective clothing, such as a hazardous materials suit, will be considered "low-risk" and not subject to the quarantine.

"High-risk" is anyone who has had skin-to-skin contact with someone who had Ebola or direct contact with their body fluids, with the dead body of a person with Ebola or with anyone who has lived with a person with Ebola.

Quinn on Monday defended his decision to order the quarantine.

"It's already recommended that they voluntarily have such a 21-day period, but I feel in the interest of the public, the public health, it will be mandatory," he said.

Federal officials have said that mandatory quarantine is not necessary. Some health officials have warned that such a measure may prompt people to lie about their exposure and that it could discourage health workers from traveling to help treat and contain the virus in the West African countries of Liberia, Guinea or Sierra Leone.

"We definitely, definitely honor all of those heroes, men and women who go forward to help the health of others," Quinn said. "At the same time, upon their return if they have been directly exposed, it's just common sense that there be this 21-day period in someone's home, where they are comfortable, in order to make sure everyone is not affected."

Quinn emphasized that the home quarantine would allow visitors and is different from keeping someone in a designated site as in New Jersey, which he said was "very wrong."

The governor said no one was in quarantine as of Monday morning.

Two patients, an adult and a child, were held in isolation temporarily last week after traveling separately to Chicago from Liberia and showing signs of illness. Both patients improved and were released from isolation.

rmccoppin@tribune.com

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.