Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Sport
Sudipto Ganguly

ICC insist preparations continue for T20 World Cup this year

The International Cricket Council has told Reuters it is continuing its preparations for the Twenty20 World Cup to be held in Australia in October-November and denied reports on Wednesday that a decision had been taken to postpone the event.

Media reports in India said ICC members had come to an understanding that this year’s event would be pushed back to 2022 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The ICC board is due to meet on Thursday to discuss a number of issues related to the virus outbreak and members will also address the World Cup, which is due to be held in Australia from Oct. 18 to Nov. 15.

“The ICC has not taken a decision to postpone the T20 World Cup and preparations are ongoing for the event in Australia this year as per plan,” a spokesperson for the governing body told Reuters.

“This is on the agenda for the ICC Board meeting tomorrow and a decision will be taken in due course.”

The Indian cricket board (BCCI) is set to host the tournament in 2021. Reuters

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.