Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Ruaidhri Giblin

Ian Bailey extradition hearing expected to take place in early May 2020

A hearing into the proposed extradition of Ian Bailey to France, where he is facing a 25-year prison sentence for the murder of filmmaker Sophie Toscan du Plantier, is expected to take place in early May.

It is the third time French authorities have sought Mr Bailey’s surrender in relation to the death of Ms du Plantier, whose badly beaten body was found outside her holiday home in Schull, west Cork in December 1996.

Mr Bailey, with an address at The Prairie, Liscaha, Schull, was convicted of the Frenchwoman’s murder in his absence in a Paris court in May 2019. The three-judge Cour d’Assises in Paris accordingly imposed a 25-year prison sentence on him in his absence.

The 63-year-old Englishman denies any involvement in the mother-of-one’s death. He did not attend the French court and had no legal representation in the proceedings, which he has described as a “farce”.

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier's son speaks outside court following the conviction, in France, of Ian Bailey for her murder

Lawyers for the Minister for Justice told the High Court today that they had received an affidavit from Mr Bailey’s solicitor, Frank Buttimer, which was “voluminous” and they required time to consider it.

Counsel for Mr Bailey, Marc Thompson BL, asked the court to reserve May 5 next as a date for the hearing of the case. That would provide ample time for the consideration of any issues that might arise, Mr Thompson said.

Mr Justice Donald Binchy fixed a provisional date of May 5 next for the hearing, which is expected to take three days in the High Court. He remanded Mr Bailey on continuing bail until that date.

The case will be mentioned on March 30 to affirm the hearing date, but Mr Bailey’s attendance will not be required on that occasion.

Ian Bailey leaving the High Court (Collins Courts)

Mr Bailey’s senior counsel, Ronan Munro SC, previously told the judge that they will be opposing surrender on grounds related to “fundamental rights” and that the authorities’ previous two extradition attempts were “relevant” to their points of objection to the present attempt.

The court has also heard that Mr Bailey swore an affidavit setting out certain factual matters, particularly in relation to his health.

The Supreme Court refused to extradite Mr Bailey in 2012 and a second French extradition request in respect of My Bailey was dismissed as an “abuse of process” by the High Court in 2017. On that occasion, Mr Justice Tony Hunt held that the “unique features” of the case justified “termination” of the proceedings.

Mr Justice Hunt said Ireland’s Director of Public Prosecutions had concluded “long ago that there is no basis for either (a) charge or trial on this matter in this jurisdiction, and unusually, a comprehensive statement of reasons for this prosecutorial decision came into the public domain during the previous Supreme Court” case.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.