THE man who filmed a viral incident in Dundee in which a schoolgirl allegedly brandished a knife and axe has spoken out amid a rush of far-right misinformation.
Fatos Ali Dumana, who is 21 and from Bulgaria, told The Daily Mail that he recorded the clip after being confronted by a young girl holding weapons on his way to the shops with his partner, Fatos Yulianova.
He said that the incident had also been recorded by CCTV at a local Farmfoods, and that a witness had told police “she was attacking me and calling me a ‘f***** migrant’”.
Police Scotland were forced to issue a misinformation warning about the incident on Wednesday after far-right agitators on social media – including Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (known as Tommy Robinson) and the billionaire Elon Musk – claimed the girl had been defending herself from a violent immigrant.
Dumana, speaking to the Daily Mail from his home in Dundee, said he had “seen the social media and it's blown up”.
“In the video she's saying, ‘Don't touch my sister, she's only 12’,” he went on. “I never touched her. I didn't hit her, I swear on my life. I have a baby now. I would never hurt someone.
“If she's only 12 why was she messing with me and having weapons? I was going to the shop and she was stopping me going on my way.
“If I did hurt the girl, why didn't the police arrest me?”
Dumana, who has an eight-month-old baby with his partner, refuted claims also spread by the far right that he is an “illegal migrant”.
“I am a human not an animal,” he said. “I've seen what's on social media every day, I want people to know what happened.”
Dumana said he came to Scotland from Bulgaria, an EU country, in 2021.
Chief Superintendent Nicola Russell said: "We are aware of misinformation being shared on social media in relation to an incident where a Bulgarian couple were approached by youths in St Ann Lane, Dundee, on Saturday, 23 August 2025. Read more: https://t.co/cLyLtnh4Px pic.twitter.com/7J1kJK818f
— Police Scotland (@PoliceScotland) August 27, 2025
Responding to the police statement confirming that “a Bulgarian couple were approached by youths in St Ann Lane, Dundee, on Saturday 23 August”, former first minister Humza Yousaf said: “But Stephen-Yaxley Lennon and his racist far-right mob told me migrants tried to sexually assault the girls?
“Who would have thought a convicted fraudster and liar was talking utter mince?”
He added: “Who would have guessed the far right were full of bullshit?”
Chief Superintendent Nicola Russell said: "We are aware of misinformation being shared on social media in relation to an incident where a Bulgarian couple were approached by youths in St Ann Lane, Dundee, on Saturday, 23 August 2025.
"A 12-year-old girl has been charged with being in possession of offensive weapons. She will be referred to the relevant authorities and our enquiries are ongoing.
"We would like to thank the local community for their help with our investigation and would urge the public not to share misinformation about this incident or speculate on the circumstances."