Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Lauren Wise

Husband harassed 'cheating' wife claiming she left him penniless

A husband said that his estranged wife would "regret it for the rest of her life" if she didn't speak to him.

Neil Preece harassed Becky Preece and her new partner David Savage over two months.

The 57-year-old says that his wife left him penniless after leaving him for another man.

As well as sending threatening texts Preece clambered over her mum's garden fence and "loitered" before banging on the windows.

Mr Savage he was left "constantly worrying" and said Ms Preece would ask him to check her car tyres every morning.

Tom Hanlon, prosecuting today at Liverpool Magistrates' Court, explained that Preece is "married but separated" from Ms Preece.

Mr Hanlon said: "Since the separation, in particular in late November the defendant sent text messages, some of a threatening nature."

Preece also went to her mother's home and had "climbed over the fence, loitering in the back garden and banging on the windows".

He then sent a threatening text to Mr Savage and one to Ms Preece's mother.

Mr Hanlon said: "He also sent Becky Preece's mother a text stating 'If Becky didn't get in touch by Christmas she would "regret it for the rest of her life'".

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

The court heard Preece attended the address on various occasions, once passing her a letter which she gave to Mr Savage.

Mr Hanlon said: "On January 3 police attended at the defendant's address in Sheffield Row."

Preece admitted the offence in a police interview.

In a victim personal statement Mr Savage said: "Throughout the campaign of this harassment I have never felt stress as much as I did."

Mr Hanlon said Mr Savage was "constantly worrying about things, mainly about the physical and emotional effect" on Ms Preece.

In the statement he explained Ms Preece would ask him to check her car tyres every morning and check the alleyway near their house.

He added: "I could see what it was doing to her."

Mr Savage said he had also stopped eating due to worry and has "had difficulties in going to work".

Mr Hanlon explained Preece has no previous convictions which are relevant to these offences.

Chelsea Kearns, defending, explained that Preece entered guilty pleas at the earliest opportunity and said it was the first offence he has committed in 30 years.

Ms Kearns said: "This took place as a result of a very painful break up for him."

She said Preece, of Newton-le-Willows, was "embarrassed" to discuss the offences and is "disgusted" he committed them.

Ms Kearns said: "His ex wife left in October last year with no word of warning."

She explained Preece says his ex wife "took all their money" and he later discovered "there was an affair and that is why she had left".

Ms Kearns explained that Preece has recently been "diagnosed with depression and anxiety" and is currently on sick leave from his work at Evan Halshaw in Manchester.

Preece admitted two counts of harassment without violence dating between November 13 2020 and January 3 2021 and November 22 2020 and January 3 2021.

Magistrates S. Saunder and P. Carroll handed Preece a 12 month community order with a eight week curfew between 8pm and 6am.

Preece was also ordered to complete 40 Rehabilitation Activity Requirements and must pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £95.

An 18 month restraining order was also imposed by the magistrates.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.