
The Hunter's top police officer says the necessary precautions have been taken to protect NSW Police from coronavirus.
Like occupations such as healthcare, police cannot simply work from home and self-isolate without leaving gaps in frontline resources and response services.
But NSW Police say they have "business continuity arrangements" in place to respond to the COVID-19 problem.
Northern Region commander Assistant Commissioner Max Mitchell said "appropriate actions" had been taken to limit the virus's impact on police resources.
He said large meetings had been cancelled, there was ample access to personal protection equipment for frontline officers and staff were being regularly briefed on the situation.
"The ongoing operations of the NSW Police and other emergency service personnel are critical during times of uncertainty, to provide reassurance and support for the community," Assistant Commissioner Mitchell said.
"We are taking all the necessary steps to protect our workforce, to support other emergency service personnel to execute their duties."
A NSW Police spokesperson said the agency's workforce was highly mobile.
"Officers can be mobilised to deploy to specific locations across the state in a reasonable period of time," she said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Commissioner Mick Fuller announced NSW would not have breath-testing operations that involved setting up temporary roadside posts until further notice - and instead only perform mobile breath-tests.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to ensure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists, you can subscribe here
RELATED NEWS
- LIVE UPDATES: The coronavirus crisis in Newcastle and the Hunter
- Elderly Hunter shoppers queue long before dedicated shopping hour
- Hunter health expert Q&A: What we can expect from the coronavirus
- Time for the Aussie spirit to rise again
- Hunter cases jump to five as winery linked to coronavirus
- Hunter schools enforce social distancing as teacher is exposed to coronavirus
- Newcastle Rugby League meeting to discuss NSWRL recommendations for COVID-19
- OPINION: The coronavirus outlook is much more serious, we need a collective approach to Australia cope