
Thieves have targeted a good Samaritan from Newcastle while he has been helping with the bushfire recovery effort on the state's south coast.
The man, an Army Reserve member who wishes not to be named, had been away from his Mayfield home barely a day when the house was broken into earlier this month.
The qualified carpenter is a former full-time member of the Australian Army and has been helping with repairs at Mogo Zoo.
His father told the Newcastle Herald this week that laptops, a road bike, a gaming console, a car key and other valuable items were taken when the home was broken into some time between January 6 and 8.
He said it was not clear whether his son's service medals remained in the house.
"This is a weird sort of thing," he said.
Read more: Police and court news
"We've had enough of people looting those affected by the fires."
Newcastle police confirmed investigators were looking into the break-in.
Duty officer Inspector Ian Macey said it was sad to see an opportunistic crime impact someone who was giving back to the community.
"The occupant of the home was out in the community, working to assist those who have lost all of their possessions in the bushfires," Inspector Macey said.
"Anyone who may have noticed any suspicious activity in the street from Monday to Wednesday, please contact Newcastle Police or Crime Stoppers."
Anyone with information or who may have CCTV or dashcam vision that could help with the investigation can contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.